Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cha-ching and Quick Nickels

Is there anything in the world that sounds better then your phone making the cha-ching sound when you get a sale on eBay? OK I know there is. Like the sound of my Princess laughing. Or her calling me mommy. And many more things. But the cha-ching sound rates pretty high.

Lately all my sales have been on the weekend and on Mondays. Tuesday through Thursday are a black hole for me. No sound comes out of my phone. I often look at it to make sure I didn't accidentally turn the sound off but I find the sound is still on. I just had no sales. But then Friday rolls around and CHA-CHING, CHA-CHING, CHA-CHING.

Lately I've been reading a lot of about slow dimes and quick nickels on different blogs. I'm afraid I have been going for the quick nickels a lot lately. This is when you list an item for less then it's sold before or you could actually get for it because you want to sell it QUICKLY instead of pricing it higher and letting it sit for the right buyer to come along. When I opened up a store this wasn't my plan. But then real life intruded. They cut our hours at work for a few months through the slow season and I'm having to make up the lost income through my eBay sales. Being a single mom I want to make sure that money is coming in so I'm pricing things lower then I should.



Here is an example of a quick nickel. I purchased this Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirt for $1.00. It had so many things going for it. It was a Reyn Spooner. It was a 2XL (big sizes sell well). It was a Thunderbird 50th anniversary shirt. And there were no others listed. I priced it at $20.00 and it sold in one hour. I know I could have gotten more for this but I was happy with my quick $19.00 profit. Until work gets back to normal I am very happy with hearing my phone cha-ching with my quick nickels.

So are you a slow dime or quick nickel seller?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a store, nor do I have the patience to wait for that slow dime. I list auction style, usually with w/BIN (unless I'm not sure of value). Most of the time the item will go into auction mode and sell at or above my BIN price. If it doesn't sell, I'll relist it once. Then if there is still no interest...well...if it's small it goes into a junk lot listing. If it's big, it goes on the garage sale pile and I scratch that item off my "look for" list. I think buying something for a buck and selling it quickly for 20-25 dollars is awesome. Maybe it's worth more, buy hey, everyone goes to Ebay for a deal. It's really a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great system. I need to get rid of items that aren't selling before I get a call from Hoarders.

      Delete