Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Taking It Back To The Old School

It seems like everything makes a comeback. Especially the ‘80’s. I will admit that I am a child of the 80’s. Madonna, neon, big hair, and acid washed. That was all my era. Wow I feel old. Several weeks ago my mom (who I love but sometimes she leaves me speechless) came home with two pairs of jeans. She was all excited because they were new with tags and only cost a dollar for both. One was hideously ugly and no one would want it. The other though… well was also hideously ugly but this had some selling potential.



A brand new with tags (from Emporium which no longer exists) pair of Georges Marciano for Guess black acid wash jeans. They had the high waist AND the zipper ankle. I dreamed of a pair of these jeans when I was younger. My parents couldn’t afford it so I only got a knock off. And here it was almost 30 years later in my hands. I almost cried. See eventually dreams do come true! But once I snapped out of the flashbacks I realized that I might be able to sell these. So on eBay they went. I had just finished listing them for $20.00 plus shipping when I get a text from my niece “I WANT THOSE!! DON’T SELL THEM!!” But it was too late. They had already been sold. Hmm maybe I under priced them. According to my niece these jeans are making a comeback. Well there is always next time.

I always make sure when I’m out “shopping” if I see something that makes me reminisce about my past I look up it’s value. I’m not the only child of the ‘80’s and a lot of people want to relive their youth. Or like me they never got that one special piece of clothing, or doll, or accessory, or whatever “it” might be and they turn to eBay to finally own it. One of my first purchases on eBay was an original Gloworm. I slept with one every night for as long as I can remember when I was a child. I was talking to Mom about it one day and I jumped on the computer and bought a replacement. It was worth every penny I spent. So don’t pass over all that old stuff. I try not to. Like the floppy disks I wrote about here. They sold for $22.00 plus shipping. Not bad for a 10 cent investment.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I recently saw someone wearing a pair of acid wash jeans and thought they looked awful, but I remember wearing them when they were popular in the 80s and thinking they were awesome. I can't believe they're making a comeback, but everything does eventually it seems.

    ReplyDelete