Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Flip A Coin

I have been going through all my “to be listed” piles and feel like I haven’t made a dent. I didn’t realize how much I had. Several items I felt weren’t going to get enough profit and would probably sit a while so off to Goodwill they went. It’s sad when I start adding up all the money I have spent on these items but it’s teaching me that I have to be more choosey with the items I buy. I don’t have the time or the space for an item that will sell for $10-15 after several months even if it only cost a quarter to buy.

Most items I didn’t even have to bother to look up. I either remembered them from when I originally bought them and looked them up or from past experiences I knew what they would sell for. Even though I probably shouldn’t be going by past experiences since things can change as Treasure Hunting Mommy mentioned here.The fun part has been discovering items I didn’t even remember buying and researching them. I’ve already sold several of them for a great profit.



This little guy is a Kliban plush fat cat. I’ve seen him before on coffee mugs. I’ve even purchased said mugs to sell. But I hate selling breakables so they still sit in the cabinet. That will be my last sell or purge pile. My daughter must have picked this plush up at a yard sale and brought him home because I don’t remember buying him. I looked him up on eBay and only found this one for $99.99 BIN. Sounds good to me! But this one has tags and mine doesn’t. And I want things to move quickly. Who knows how long this seller has had theirs sitting.

As I fellow seller I feel bad undercutting the other seller. But if mine does sell his will be the only other one listed. So do I start high and hope I at least get one bid or start low and hope for a lot of bids (remember I’m only doing auctions on these new listings)? Decisions, decisions. Maybe my indecisive nature is why it’s taking me so long to get through all my stuff. Maybe I should just flip a coin. What would you do?

3 comments:

  1. I never use auctions, but if I wanted to feel out the interest for this particular item, I might list it with a high starting price and keep an eye on the number of views and watchers. Even if it doesn't sell the first week, you'd have a much better idea of how much interest/demand there is for this particular item, and you could revise your starting price accordingly week 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kari. I rarely get more than one bid on auction items. I list primarily with BIN. If I get watchers but no buyers, I'll add BO after a week. If nothing after that, then I'll lower the price if I want a quick sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I have several bags and boxes of items waiting to go to Goodwill. The good news is that as I've been doing this longer and longer, I'm also getting much choosier and having to add much less to that Goodwill pile. As for the plush, your item is different because it doesn't have tags. You also want to flip it quickly. There is nothing wrong with this. Price it for whatever you would like.

    ReplyDelete