Monday, June 24, 2013

Princess Camp

I'm beginning to think I had a very deprived childhood. I didn't get to do any of the things my daughter gets to do. Gymnastics, dance, recitals, soccer, and last week was Princess Camp. Yes there is such a thing as Princess Camp. I couldn't make something like that up even if I tried.

The Friday before camp started I received a call from the coordinator. She gave me some basic info I should know and also informed me that most girls come in a Princess costume. Oh great. I had just sold the last Princess dress I had listed on eBay. I did have a Tinkerbell outfit (luckily the first day was Fairy Princess day) and the old standby Snow White costume. This is the one I bought on eBay my Princess' first Halloween. She has worn it at least a half a dozen times. But the camp lasted three days so I was one outfit short. I was tempted to buy one from eBay but 1)I'm cheap and 2)I wasn't sure I would receive it on time. I called my niece and sister hoping one of them had one listed I could use. My sister came through with a Barbie Princess dress that she hadn't gotten around to listing yet.

First day of class all the little girls where in every Disney Princess costumes you could imagine. Some had dresses fancier then the one I wore to prom so long ago. Looking around I realized a few things. First, soon these dress would be selling at a fraction of the original price at yard sales. Second, parents will spend outrageously amounts of money on their children. Last, this is the reason costumes sell all year long on eBay. There is always some day camp, party, sleep over, or play date that requires that special costume a child must have.

It doesn't matter what time of year it is. I always look for costumes a yard sales (thrift stores around me don't put them out until September) and list them right away. I've actually found that you have a lot less competition when it's not Halloween season.

This week my daughter has Super Hero camp. Luckily I was able to find a costume this weekend for her. I must learn to plan ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Princess Camp! Super Hero Camp! Wow! I only ever went to a Mommy camp once and I was so bored, I went home early. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna in Warrenton VAJuly 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM

    I just wanted to say how absolutely adorable your little girl is. I can remember when my little girl (now age 17) was that age and princess dresses were an absolute necessity! I don't believe they had princess camp here but she went to several birthday parties where they dressed up in princess dresses.

    ReplyDelete